Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Coast Guard Upends Men's Lacrosse, 9-8

Coast Guard Upends Men's Lacrosse, 9-8

Springfield, Mass. - April 19, 2017 - The Springfield College men's lacrosse team dropped its first in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) contest of the season on Wednesday night when it was edged by Coast Guard, 9-8, at Stagg Field.

With the loss, the Pride drop to 7-4, 3-1 in conference action, while the Bears improve to 8-5, 2-2.

Brendan Boss (West Springfield, Mass.) led all players with four goals, Duncan Preston (South Portland, Maine) added two goals, and Jack Vail (Franklin, Mass.) handed out a pair of assists.  Austin Sierra (Longmeadow, Mass.) won 9-of-17 draws and picked up seven ground balls, while Phillip Dumont (Watertown, Mass.) caused three turnovers to go along with four ground balls.  Between the pipes, Jake Reynolds (Scituate, Mass.) was credited with 15 saves. 

Coast Guard was led by Trey Johnson (Millersville, Md.) who made 14 saves in goal and Jack Pope (San Diego, Calif.), who netted three goals.  Riley McNulty (Arnold, Md.) chipped in two goals and an assist and Anthony Wyler (Fulton, Md.) tallied two assists and a goal.  Connor Ellis (Arnold, Md.) caused three turnovers and grabbed five ground balls to lead the defensive effort.

The visitors wasted no time jumping out a 2-0 advantage just 3:10 into the opening quarter as McNulty and Benner Geurtsen (Rodman, N.Y.) each found the back of the cage.  Springfield answered back with three goals in the final 10:29 of the quarter to take its first lead of the game.  Kyle Dillon (Mahopac, N.Y.) got the run started when he buried a shot in transition off a great look from Vail.  Vail later connected with Boss at the 8:55 mark to even things up before Preston got his hands free for a rip from 10 yards out with 1:06 on the clock.

Coast Guard tied the game up just 16 seconds into the second quarter when Wyler delivered his second helper of the game to Pope.  Springfield would answer with back-to-back goals from Boss to earn its largest lead of the game before Blaise Curtis (Riverside, Md.) delivered a strike at 5:53 to make it a one-goal game at the half.

Pope connected on a big lefty shot 1:53 into the third quarter, only to have Tim Cozens (Ridgefield, Conn.) muscle his way to the cage and stick a shot into the top corner to put Springfield back on top with 9:28 on the clock.

The Bears would hold the Pride off the scoreboard for the next 14:55 of the contest while potting three goals of the own from McNulty, Pope, and Ryan Gochar (Clarksville, Md.) to push its lead to 8-6 with 10:07 remaining in regulation.

Boss scored in transition at 9:33 and Preston benefited from a sensational pass by Brendan Dooley (Setauket, N.Y.) for the game-tying goal with 2:50 to play.   The Bears won the ensuing face-off and after a patient offensive set, Wyler shook his man at the top of the box and tucked in a shot on the run for what would prove to be the game-winning goal.

Springfield made on last push after Reynolds made a terrific play out of the cage to cause a turnover and raced into the offensive third as the Pride burned a timeout with 31 seconds remaining.  However, out of the break, Springfield was turned the ball trying to connect along the crease and the Bears held on for the win.

The Pride will next play at rival Wheaton for a 1:00 pm contest on Saturday afternoon.