Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Lacrosse Drops 14-11 Decision To Amherst In NCAA Championship Second Round

Amherst, Mass. - May 10, 2017 - The Springfield College men's lacrosse team was edged by 11th-ranked Amherst College, 14-11, in the NCAA Division III Championship Second Round at Pratt Field in Lehrman Stadium on Wednesday afternoon.

Springfield, which made its 10th-consecutive appearance in the NCAA Tournament after clinching the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Championship this past weekend, has its season come to a close with a 12-5 record.  Amherst, ranked 11th in the latest United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Assocation (USILA)/Nike National Coaches Poll, is now 13-4 and advances to face Bates in the NCAA Sweet 16.

In a hard-fought contest, both sides scored four goals each in the first quarter, two goals apiece in the third quarter, and three goals each in the fourth quarter. Amherst held a 5-2 advantage in scoring the second stanza to help stake its three-goal victory.

Springfield got the scoring started in the first period as Ty Daugstrup (Rocky River, Ohio) netted an unassisted goal at the 8:10 mark. Amherst was quick to answer through Colin Minicus who found the back of the net just 22 seconds later. In less than a minute, the Pride regained the lead on a transition goal by Brendan Boss (West Springfield, Mass.), assisted by Kyle Dillon (Mahopac, N.Y.), but the Mammoths responded once more to know the game at 2-2 when Ian Kadish scored on a feed from Jimmy McAfee with 6:09 to play in the opening quarter.

Jack Norton then netted the first of his markers at the 4:44 mark, before Daugstrup buried his second of the frame to make it 3-3 with an assist from Duncan Preston (South Portland, Maine). Mahon then struck pay dirt for Amherst with 1:07 to play, before Tom Hurley (Goffstown, N.H.) leveled the game once more at 4-4 with 13 ticks on the clock.

The Mammoths exploded out of the gate in the second quarter as Jack Wolff fired in an unassisted goal to start a stretch of five straight scores for Amherst. Norton and Chris Albanese added unassisted tallies to make it 7-4, before Minicus added a goal with help from Trenton Shore to make it 8-4 with 9:56 to play in the first half. Another Norton strike – this one assisted by Albanese – gave the hosts a five-goal 9-4 lead with 4:22 to play. Springfield halted the run when Tim Cozens (Ridgefield, Conn.) scored on a pass from Jack Vail (Franklin, Mass.), before Vail got free in front of the cage off a great look from Cameron Glover (Brunswick, Maine), to make it 9-6 at intermission.

The Pride continued to close the gap early in the third stanza as Preston and Dom Abate (Beverly, Mass.) connected on deep shots to pull the visitors to within one at 9-8 with 11:44 to play in the quarter. Albanese then found Minicus on an extra-man opportunity to make it 10-8, before a laser from McAfee with 11 seconds left in the period gave Amherst an 11-8 cushion heading to the fourth quarter.

The fourth quarter saw the teams exchange goals as Brett Inglesby started the scoring for the Mammoths in the period following a dish from Norton at the 11:59 mark. Norton and Minicus added goals for Amherst, while Preston, Boss and Hurley each found the back of the net for the Pride to set the final score at 14-11.

Preston, Boss, Hurley, and Daugstrup each scored twice in the setback, while Jake Reynolds (Scituate, Mass.) made 10 saves and Matthew LaCroix (Westfield, Mass.) had a game-high nine ground balls for the Pride.